Pages

17 October 2014

No sew Tutu-torial

Hello darlings,


Recently I've had a couple people ask me to show a tutu tutorial -- who says no to tutu's ?

Honestly, I'm a fan of tutu's all year round and with Halloween around the corner I couldn't think of a better time to do this post. Whether it's for yourself or for a child, a tutu is great for almost any costume. You just need the right colors and 'poof!'
It's really simple and requires no type of sewing skills because it's a no-sew tutu, woo-hoo!
MaterialsTwo 6in. tulle roll (One roll has 25 yards) from a fabric store or Walmart has it as well. I'll be using red and black, but you can use as many color as you want, you'll just need less of each.ScissorsMeasuring tapeHot glue gunElastic (3/4" wide will work fine)


OK, so I purchased tulle by the yard and after my experience I recommend you to get 6" tulle roll (mentioned above). It will save you a lot of time; instead of cutting each strip 6" wide from massive fabric. If you by the roll all you have to do is cut the fabric with the length* you want your skirt to be and just start from step 3.

* Please note when you cut the fabric length multiply by two -- You will see why in step 6.For example I am making a tutu for a two year old and I want the length to be 10in, so I will cut each piece at 20in. For those of you who decide to purchase by the yard, like I did, good luck. I purchased 2 yards of each color to make a tutu for a two year old.



1) I folded my massive amount of fabric to look somewhat like a rectangle. The width is about 12" -- you want the width to be the smallest possible (6" is perfect size), so you have more fabric to fill the skirt. That is why I recommend buying the roll that is already 6" so you save yourself from the extra work and time.


The measurement shows my skirt length. It currently says 28" but I will cut at 20". When you cut the fabric length make sure you multiply by two -- You will see why in step 6.

For example I am making a tutu for a two year old and I want the length to be 10", so I will cut each piece at 20".


After you get your preferred length (remember it should be doubled), in order to make the 'fabric yard users' life easier, I wrap it around a book. Use a book that won't cause you to have such a large width. For example my book is about 8" wide, but if you have anything even a piece of cardboard that is 6in., I recommend you to use that.


2) Cut through each side, so you end up with individual strips. Mine are 8"x 20"


3) After measuring the waist, grab your elastic and cut the appx. measurement. The elastic should be cut the exact size, since it will be able to stretch in case needed.


4) Hot glue the ends together. In order to secure it, I glued the borders


5) In order to add the tulle you want your elastic stabled. I used a stool I had, but you can use a hanger or cardboard.


6) Grab your tulle and fold it in half, so now it is at the length you originally wanted it to be. And just loop it like the following three pictures:

You can do one color at a time, or give it a fuller effect by using two of the same colors, or using one of each color in one fold.


The above pictures show me using one of each colors, but I ended up doing one by one using just one color rather than mixing both. Just figure out your preferred style and do that.

As much as I would like to model, mines is meant for a tiny toddler. 


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment